The quotable Marion Barry:
- Goddamn bitch set me up!
- Barry said this in front of an FBI camera after agents arrested him for smoking crack in a hotel room with an escort. This phrase (and variants) was emblazoned on novelty tee-shirts at the time.
- Outside of the killings, DC has one of the lowest crime rates in the country.
- Source: USA Today: Mar 24, 1989. pg. 02.A
- They made all this up to justify questioning me. It's all made up. I don't know what happened. Whatever they say was all made up.
- Responding to allegations by Park Police that he was found with a white substance under his nose and trace amounts of cocaine in his car.
- Source: The Washington Post: 26 March 2002. pg B2
- There is a sort of an unwritten code in Washington, among the underworld and the hustlers and these other guys that I am their friend.
- Explaining why he was upset at being robbed at gunpoint.
- Source: Washington Express: 4 January 2006. pg 11
and the funny, yet unsourced, quotes:
"The contagious people of Washington have stood firm against diversity during this long period of increment weather."
"I promise you a police car on every sidewalk."
"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very very low crime rate."
"First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl."
"I am clearly more popular than Reagan. I am in my third term. Where's Reagan? Gone after two! Defeated by George Bush and Michael Dukakis no less."
"The laws in this city are clearly racist. All laws are racist. The law of gravity is racist."
"I am making this trip to Africa because Washington is an international city, just like Tokyo, Nigeria or Israel. As mayor, I am an international symbol. Can you deny that to Africa?"
"People have criticized me because my security detail is larger than the president's. But you must ask yourself: are there more people who want to kill me than who want to kill the president? I can assure you there are."
"The brave men who died in Vietnam, more than 100% of which were black, were the ultimate sacrifice."
"I read a funny story about how the Republicans freed the slaves. The Republicans are the ones who created slavery by law in the 1600's. Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves and he was not a Republican."
"What right does Congress have to go around making laws just because they deem it necessary?"
"People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then? WOULD IT!?!"
"I am a great mayor; I am an upstanding Christian man; I am an intelligent man; I am a deeply educated man; I am a humble man."